Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Buona Festa of Fasting



Buongiorno from the caffeinated American! Santa Sabina this morning was beautiful. The trek from Santa Marinella took us on a early morning walk past the hazy Circus Maximus field (think Ben Hur Race without a racetrack or stands) and the misty Palantine ruins that overlook it. Gorgeous scene, but I was in too much of a hurry to pull out the camera. Ah well, there will be mornings with more mist to come.

Mass this morning - well, the part after the Agnes Dei that I was there for (silly early train) - was gorgeous. English is a glorious language to pray in when it 's your own. Gathering with two Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, cool laypeople your age, and a fun Sacramento priest for bracing coffee and cornetto in a crammed little caffe is priceless. Seeing people and NOT studying day and night is beautiful. So I admit it. I'm hooked on the early morning Station Churches. This means getting on a train at 5.38 AM. Stop laughing. Stop nay-saying. It's Lent. I'm strong. (Nevermind the fact that I couldn't even give up cheese for 40 days in college). It's Mass in ENGLISH. And it gives you a task. You can pray for fortitude and naps for me.

Up above this rambling is a picture of Santa Sabina. The windows are, without a doubt, the most distinctive part of the church. Each one is unique, shedding jagged patterns of light patches on the wall opposing it. Overall, Santa Sabina fits within the category of ancient Roman churches that effortlessly capture simplicity and antique rusticness and toss them together to make reverent and joyful architecture. Their rough randomness beautifully sets them apart from the other baroque opuses of gold that pepper this city. What they lack in polished ornateness is compensated by their honesty and genuineness.

Sadly, I cannot take credit for the photo of Santa Sabina. All kudos goes to Great Google Discoveries.

Since I missed most of Mass this morning and the ash distribution, I'm taking advantage of the Opus Dei ashes at my Universita in 15 minues. A presto.

No comments: