Monday, November 12, 2007

I Favoriti

One day very soon, I will remove my fingers from my Italian dictionary and write something of real substance here. Classes these days have been throwing lots of fascinating articles about the Word, our identity, and our word of Him . . . the sort of material you want to take to a chapel or the foot of a mountain and just *think* about. There's a beautiful world to discover in that area of theology, all encapsulated in words with lots of vowels that I only half-way recognize. So for now, my nose is in the books. I have two important discoveries, however, to share from my experience in Rome thus far: 1) For the love of pete, teach your kids another language while they're young and it's painless, and 2) For the love of God, take the time to think in silence.

In the meantime, I just had an incredibly discouraging day, so this post is going to be full of all the things that make me really happy. Begining with the place that keeps me alive:



This is my coffeeshop, designed by Bramante. I am sorry to sound like such a snob, but there's really no other way to put it.
On to my newly-discovered favorite Sunday church, Santa Maria in Trastevere:



It's a terrible picture, but I hope to have a better one soon. Trastevere was traditionally the Jewish section of Rome during the time of Christ. Not too long before Christ's birth, oil suddenly gushed from the earth at this Church's future site, a sign of the advent of the Messiah, the annointed One. Apparently there has always been a strong devotion to the Blessed Mother in this section of Rome. I love the area; there are lots of narrow streets and artsy stores to explore.

Another favorite: seeing Il Papa. This was taken at the Opening Mass for the Academic Year, held specifically for all of the University students in Rome. Darkness comes from being half-way back in St. Peter's; the ones with flash are much too fuzzy to post, unfortunately.



And finally, Assisi. Here is one more from my last trek. I'm saving the rest for another bad day.

4 comments:

Wife of a Soldier said...

Aw. I'm sorry you had a bad day. I did too today. Jax and I ended up eating Ramen and cheese bread for dinner. Yes, I fed my 14mo old Ramen. And he loved it. Lol!

Love your picts! And you look so beautiful and happy in that pict of your class! I am envious of your hair - mine is starting to straighten a bit on the top :(

Have two envelopes coming your way ;)

one muse more said...

That´s awesome. Remember the days when junk food was the ultimate meal? :) (Remember the taquitos I used to eat all the time until I looked at the Nutrition Facts?) Now all I can dream about is a real steak . . . O:)

Lol, straight hair I have not. It´s gotten really long these days. Can´t wait to get the packages! You´re the best!

Sara said...

LOVE the blog! I'm so excited to get updates from Bella Adrienne about Bella Roma! And the pictures from Assisi are awesome. That's one of the most beautiful and peaceful places on the planet.

Am I the Queen of Useless Knowledge to whom you refer in the earlier post? I don't remember imparting those words of wisdom, but am happy to take credit for any sage advice. ;)

Ciao, Bella!

one muse more said...

Didn't you used to say "Be a lover, not a hater"? Or did I just totally make that up from "Don't be a hater"? Man, I'm getting rusty on my Sara lines. Must be time to talk to you again. O:)