Monday, January 19, 2009

New Catholic media coolness

Now I'm just procrastinating. But this is too cool not to share. I'm ripping it off of the blog I have to write for school, so if the formatting is weird or if Blogger shuts me down for plagiarism, that's why.

CatholicVote.com has just released a brilliant video dismantling the popular pro-abortion argument that a life full of hardship just isn't worth living.




Simple yet beautifully executed, the short commercial features sweeping instrumental music, the image of a baby in utero coming ever-closer to the screen, and the tale of a man who came from a broken home and yet lived to become the 1st African American President of the United States.

Sporting the tag-line "Life. Imagine the Potential," the video conveys its message without artifice, politics, or preaching. Even more impressive is CatholicVote's skillful piggy-backing off of two pop-culture icons: John Lennon, composer of the popular progressive feel-good song "Imagine," and America's soon to be inaugurated president Barack Obama.

When St. Paul went to preach to the Greeks, he pointed to the image they had already constructed and proclaimed to them, "See your image of the Unknown God? I come to speak to you of what you have sensed, but do not yet fully understand." Using symbols that the populace feels friendly and comfortable with is communicative genius. Well done, CatholicVote.com.

5 comments:

Kateri said...

So nice to have you back!

Little Things said...

Thank you for sharing! I love the video and your thoughts on it are wonderful...as always.

M. T. said...

It's a great video!
I'm SO glad you're blogging again! :)

one muse more said...

Thanks! One of my Rome friends just raised the point that many people might misinterpret the video and think that Obama is pro-life because of it. Others might think that the Catholic Church supported him because they feature him positively.

Thoughts?

I still love the video, but I do see her point . . .

M. T. said...

hmmmm, I see her point about the C.C. supporting him . . . But I don't know HOW anyone could think he was pro-life. But I guess there are lots of mis-informed people out there.
I'll have to think about this.