Tuesday, October 12, 2010

venice at daybreak

I had my walk this morning.

Instead of snark, I'll steal a few lines that I scribbled later in the day during a boring point at the conference.  The quotation marks begin . . . here: "

Slipped away this morning to take a walk in the Venice sunrise.  





I love cities early in the morning and late at night.  The silence, the deserted streets, the avenues and the colored buildings keeping vigil by themselves; it is a scene of peace and beauty.

I walked down the lower rim of my island, 

 looking out on the buildings on the other side.








 Then I swung around the tip of the outer rim, felt the wind whip the water and my hair topsy-turvy at the point, and 
 swung around




making my way up wee bridges and through mazey streets to get myself back to the Accademia bridge, to haul to San Marco.


You could tell when the Piazza was approaching because the stores got pricier with each step; Gucci, then Valentino, Fendi, finally blending into boutiques too expensive to recognize
And finally bursting out to an archway that gave a first glimpse of San Marco dome, the facade slightly wrapped in scaffolding.

I crossed the square, lit up but still cold and grayish in the cold morning sunlight.  The true wash of sunlight was for the sea to the right of the Basilica
 where the pillar with Venice's lion drew a dark emblem to tower over the waters.





Back at my hotel and then at the conference again

more to come tomorrow

No comments: