Friday, February 20, 2009

Haircut and other such news

There is nothing more satisfying than being fed up with your circumstances and cutting your hair. It completely changes your outlook on life.  It makes you a new person.  A new person who has it together and looks GOOD.

Yep, I fulfilled that old stereotype and I merrily chopped off my own hair at 11:38 PM one night, after telling my laughing roommate that I would.  AND I LOVE IT.  It's nothing too drastic - NOT a return to the college boy-mop look (shudder).  It's just a bit above my shoulders with a couple of layers to emphasize the fact that I have curly crazy big hair.  I would show you the self-photo I just took on my Mac, but blogger won't let me upload anything.  :P  So until I make it to my school computer lab, you'll have to take my word for it that it looks good and that I don't have massive holes in my hairline.

In other news, I went to Siena with one of my friends to protest Valentine's Day.  I don't have much use for the Hallmark-fest this year (see note about fulfilling a stereotype above).  And everybody knows that you can't just sit around your house and be single on V-Day.  That makes you a loser.  So instead I ate wild boar and tried really hard to be reverent in front of St. Catherine's dried disconnected finger.  Bet I'm the only American who gets to say THAT about my Valentine's Day.  Pictures from that trip coming soon, too. 

School started again this week, and it looks like it's going to be a fun semester.  I have one class on Public Speaking and another on Media Training, so there are going to be a lot of cameras and classmates in front of my face for the next four months.  Bring it on.

I love Media Training so far.  I'm as shy as can be in some situations, but get me into a job interview or an interview of any sort - get me someplace where I *have* to perform to save my skin - and something inside of me just turns on.  I eat it up.  Something in me just decides I'm going to nail it.  So, since I go to a Catholicy school where they assume I am going to be a Catholic diocesan spokesperson, our "interview" questions mostly to have to do with controversial Catholic issues.  This week was abortion.  I think I was the only person in the class who didn't make reference to a single Catholic encyclical during the interview exercise - but I think it went really well.  I revealed my inner Italian and used my hands way too much.  Apparently, survival situations bring out my inner Italian voice too, because I somehow managed to rattle the whole thing out in Italian (with a healthy scattering of English words).  I completely baffled my classmates, who believe that I am literally retarded when it comes to speaking that language.  No, I'm dead serious - they make fun of my speaking abilities all the time, which is main reason I speak so terribly around them.  Doing the interview was infinitely satisfying in that regard.  The only problem is that now my professors think I can actually speak Italian, and they told me that they're never going to speak to me in English again.  Dang it.  I blew my cover.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Wife of a Soldier said...

I miss you! About to get my hair cut too. I would totally chop it myself but I suck at layers needed for a short short cut. Must see picts of your hair and the trip! Call anytime, dearie. It's so funny how after a baby comes everyone avoids you (calling, visiting, etc) to give you time to adjust, but I adjust much better when things (calls and such) come in as normal ;)