Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Happy Lent 'n such

A year ago (liturgically speaking), I was here.  

I find it vastly ironic that I made it to the first Station Mass in Rome last year when I was living in the beach boondocks.  To get there, I took 1 hour and 20 minute train ride, plus 10 minutes squashed on the Metro, plus a hard 15 minute walk uphill.   Now I live an easy half-hour walk away from the Santa Sabina, and I stayed in bed.  There was a paper that got in the way of waking up at 6 AM.  It was arguably one of the worst things I've written all year, but it still managed to keep me up until 2.  I figured that shirking responsibility and skipping school again was worse than breaking your Lenten resolution 6 hours after Lent officially starts - right?  (I know a priest who is going to give me a very hard time over this no matter what I say).

So, as I mentioned last year, Rome has a tradition of attending Mass at the city's oldest Churches for the 40 days of Lent.  Romans do it at night, the NACers (North American College priests) do it for English speakers in the morning.  Check out their website for some great Roman history - they give the best descriptions of Roman churches available, hands down.

Altogether, it's a great way to experience the many churches in Rome.  I experienced today's Santa Sabina - and the gross 70 year old sacristan who tried to kiss me there, eww - a couple of weeks ago, so I'm ok with missing it.  I'm going to my favorite San Agostino, where St. Monica is buried, instead tonight.  

Tomorrow is San Giorgio in Velabro.  Never heard of it.  I'll bring my camera.

No comments: