Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ugh to technology

My brilliant plan to download my photos onto a school computer was foiled. They apparently don't let you do that round here no more.

Which is a problem, because I currently can't download any pictures to my own computer becuase my harddrive is completely full because of the 4,638 previously downloaded photos. (I call it a hobby, some would call it OCD). And when I try to burn these photos onto a DVD disk to free up some space, the burn fails half way through, or - even better, this happened yesterday - my computer completes the burn, but then refuses to read the disk it just made. It rejects its own child, so to speak.

So, suffice it to say for now that San Giorgio's is really pretty, even at 7:00 AM. To give the people who know Rome some geographical bearings, it's a couple of blocks down from the Mouth of Truth. It was beautiful being at a Mass where everybody stood up, sat, and knelt at the same time, and started singing and ended singing at the same time, and got up to go to communion in orderly rows, one by one. Dang, I've missed America.

I'm not going to bother describing the church because I am, somehow, going to put up pictures tomorrow. Don't ask me how. I think it will involve putting old pictures on my thumbdrive and burning them onto a disk on a school computer so I can do the whole process all over again. The things we have to do to make technology work to make our lives so much easier.

There's icing on the cake of waking up at 6 AM. The NACers and priests apparently have an established list of all the best cafes next to all the station churches. This is an early morning tradition I can live with. Rome in the early morning before it has people in it is glorious, especially on a sunny day. I have some lovely shots of Campo di Fiori and Piazza Farnese which y'all will get to enjoy . . . eventually.

I finally saw again one of my Deacon friends from the diocese of Bismark. The deaconate ordination at St. Peter's, especially from the perspective of third row from the front, was one of the most beautiful experiences I've ever had in my life. Here's a photo from that day . . . the days of freedom when I could actually download photos . . .



We had good seats.

No comments: